From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Pete Davis
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 11:29 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 900MHz performance (Latency, Throughput)

The 900Mhz pricing has always been higher than 2.4ghz 802.11x on price.
Probably always will be.
What 900mhz buys you is NLOS performance. 900mhz links will cut through
trees that 802.11b only dreams about.
I am not sure how well the new Ubiquiti cards running 802.11 on them
will do with NLOS. Waverider is the 900mhz I am familiar with, and part
of the positive things about it are the way it will retry packets up to
3 times before failing them. I don't think that 802.11 has a packet
retry as part of its protocol. Another downside of Waverider (or any
other 900mhz as far as I know) its that a Waverider 900mhz Access point
(CCU) is only good for 2mbps total network throughput, and 1.5mbps to
any one client.

Pete Davis
NoDial.net

Kurt Fankhauser wrote:

> Something needs to be done about this 900mhz pricing, at these prices
> I can justify setting up more 2.4ghz to get to these last mile
customers.

> Kurt Fankhauser
>
> WAVELINC
>
> 114 S. Walnut St.