<snip>
I desperately need a GOOD VOIP wholesale deal, where I own the customer and
do frontline support, it's my own brand (if I brand it) and I merely  bulk
buy minutes, numbers, and CPE.    I can't sell my customers a 400 minute
account that costs me 25 bucks a month.  They can buy Packet8 for less than
most resell deals.
</snip>

You're thinking like the "ISP techie" -- e.g., if I'm not better / cheaper /
faster...then I can't be in business

Obviously, this isn't how things work

Case in point -- I know of a market that consists of 2 Canopy WISPs -- the
owners / principles of one come from a techie / residential ISP background,
and sell wireless broadband connections (various rates of 1 Mb, 2 Mb, 3 Mb
burstable connections) for $29-69 / month

In the same market, the 2nd Canopy WISP has people who come from a carrier /
enterprise sales background, and they sell the EXACT SAME WIRELESS
CONNECTION (from a technological standpoint that is, it's still an
unlicensed Motorola SM / AP) for $300-600 / month

Now, it is worth noting that the guys in WISP #2 are 100 lbs overweight,
have grey hair, and wear suits, while the guys in WISP #1 (although in their
late 20s now) -- still resemble adolescent college fraternity kids

However, when they first hit the market, I was thinking, jeez, these guys
(WISP #2) are absolutely nuts, they're morons, trying to sell overpriced
@#$@ -- they'll never turn on a customer

Yet consistently, I see guys from WISP #2 outsell guys from WISP #1 in
competitive deals (e.g., customer has a T1 line they're paying $500 / month
for, and WISP #1 comes in and tries to sell a 3 Mb connection for $69 --
nothing happens -- 3 months later, WISP #2 comes in and sells a 3 Mb
"dedicated" connection for $600 / month to the same customer)

Go figure...

-Charles

WiNOG Austin, TX
March 13-15, 2006