<snip>
I'm looking at moving to a licensed solution to increase throughput across
one of out backhaul links that spans 5 hops. Distances between hops range
anywhere from 7 to 19 miles.

Can anyone recommend a licensed radio manufacturer that should net us
50Mb-100Mb per hop?
</snip>

Hi Bobby,

>From reading your post, I could surmise (to your detriment) that you missed
the WiNOG conference in Austin last week.  One licensed manufacturer was
actually offering a show special for a FREE 100 Mb upgrade (e.g., buy the
radio at the 50 Mb price but get a 100 Mb radio) to show attendees (this is
worth thousands of dollars per link).

That said, now that you've listened to my "snide remark" -- I'm actually
going to provide some useful information (consider it the cost of free but
useful advice =)

To go 9-17 miles, you will have to use either the 6 or 11 GHz
frequencies...FCC Part 101 stipulates a minimum dish size of 4' for 11 GHz,
and 6' for 6 GHz -- the first question you must ask yourself is whether this
doable for your towers/rooftops?

Anyone who tells you that 18 GHz (which allows for a 2' dish size) will do
the link for has no idea what they're talking about.

I would recommend reading the following article put out by Broadband
Wireless Magazine a few years ago helping WISPs understand Point-to-Point
Licensed Links

http://www.shorecliffcommunications.com/magazine/volume.asp?Vol=39&story=365

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ping me offlist

-Charles

WiNOG Austin, TX
March 13-15, 2006
http://www.winog.com

I'm looking at moving to a licensed solution to increase throughput across
one of out backhaul links that spans 5 hops. Distances between hops range
anywhere from 7 to 19 miles.

We are currently using the dual nstreme Mikrotik solution and it is working
very well, however the WRAP/RB532 solutions are only yielding ~25Mb per hop.

Can anyone recommend a licensed radio manufacturer that should net us
50Mb-100Mb per hop?

Thanks,

Bobby Burrow
East Texas Rural Net