Hi,

I have point to point T1 lines from Qwest that have been up 100% for the last 3 years. That's 100.0% uptime. Do you have any wireless links that have that type of reliability?

I am probably one of the largest WISP operators on this and any wireless list. I built our entire wireless backbone from the ground up starting in 1997. I spent 3 hours on a tower this morning installing two new AP's. I understand where wireless fits and where it doesn't.

Travis
Microserv

Matt Liotta wrote:

I'll take a wireless link over a T1 any day if for no other reason then the wireless link will be more reliable. You're never going to suffer the loss of a link due to a backhoe or a drunk driver hitting a pole, which are the two most likely reasons for a T1 failure.

Personally, I believe that fixed wireless is truly better and I would argue someone has no business working for a fixed wireless company if they don't believe it too.

-Matt

Travis Johnson wrote:

Tom,

The original postition and question was "are you comparing your wireless service to telco T1". After your posts, it's obvious that you are... and I would argue that a land-based line will ALWAYS be better than wireless, with all other factors being the same. Now, if you are able to save the customer $xx per month by using wireless, then there is an advantage. If you can provide other services, then there is an advantage. However, comparing a half-duplex system to a full-duplex system and saying they are the same is... not correct.

If you had the choice between running a full-duplex wireless system and half-duplex, which would you do? :)

If you could purchase a land-based connection to go from point A to point B for $500 per month, or rent roof-top space at point A and point B for $500 per month, which would you choose? ;)

Travis
Microserv

Tom DeReggi wrote:

Travis,

I'd love to perform your test.
Send me the CD.
Understanding that I will provision the customer at 3 mbps on our first hop router, using Trango 10mbps PtMP radio link, and that your CD test will generate 1500mbps of data transfer.

There are three seperate issues here. 1) One user's connection able to effect another user's connection, and 2) On one particular link, their upload traffic effecting their download traffic, under normal opperation within acceptable use policy, and 3) On one particular link, their upload traffic effecting their download traffic, under a Denial of Service situation.

With any type of broadband, if the capacity of a link is saturated, it results in packet loss and performance loss for the individual's connection. Its up to the end user to protect against violation of acceptable use policy like viruses that deliver abnormal PPS, or any queueing needed to allow fair priority of data type on the LAN side of the link. These problems can also all be solved with a feature rich client side router before plugging to our Broadband, regardless of the Duplex of our link. In other words, The same performance problems will result on a full Duplex link, if one direction gets saturated, and that same direction traffic will result in packet loss, and all communication generally requires some communication in each of the direction for traffic to flow in one direction. So where the problem may be worse with Half Duplex, the problem still exists in some capacity with Full Duplex. I'd argue that its possible to generate enough pps on a Full Duplex Link in one direction, that will overload the processing power of the radio CPU, and the other direction still getting horrible performance even with no traffic passing in that other direction even though Full Duplex, because no CPU time is available for it. Unless each direction has its own CPU, which is not likely. This is an issue of whether the radio used can handle the number of PPS sent to it in high DOS situations.

I'd also argue under this situation 4000 pps 1500 mbps, that the customer's use of the circuit in any capacity when a DOS of that type was happening, would be not possible, and justify immediate tech action to resolve, regardless of whether one direction of traffic was usable. I;ve never met a company where having one direction traffic only was acceptable or tolerable.

You did however hit on an important clarification. A half duplex link can not distinguish on its own wether upload or download traffic at a given moment is priority or more important to the subscriber. When there is a large demand for legitimate broadband, why would the data in one direction be any more priority than the other, when capacity is reached? Either way the customer is compromised in throughout needs one direction or another. Doesn't it really mean that the customer needs more total bandwidth? Is it any more important that mail was sent and not received? Full Duplex is one way for a customer to solve that problem, and reserve bandwdith in one direction. But does that really solve the problem? Maybe if the circuit's intended use is for 100% VOIP a symetrical application. But not many circuits are used for that purpose. And if I really wanted to, I can set my bandwdith management to be seperate for upload and download, and immulate a Full Duplex connection, over the half duplex link. But what it really says to me is the importance that customers have front end queuing / IP prioritization when using bi-directional sensitive applications such as VOIP.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>