Guys;
These all sound great. I was reading just a couple months back about a WISP operator that had a severe problem. Just a few yards away, maybe 300 feet, another guy put up his tower. I think they were both on 2.4 GHZ, and someone suggested a different AP that would not even be detected by conventional systems. Something about nonstandard bandwidth, channel spacing or coding. I really feel that stealth is best here. These other guys have been in business for a while and could cause trouble that I do not need.

Lee
Trango does make a good product. I still have 2 Sunstream AP's in use. They are like Timex watches.

I'm using Star War boards. A little bit more than the trango s. The 2 card boards in a 5 gig rootenna let me use the 2nd card for an omni. Speeds are about 20+ megs or so and I cloak down to 5MHz and 10MHz channel sizes.

One of the things I've been doing is slapping up repeaters all over the place. Cheap as hell, about 400.00 or so.

Lately I've ran lmr400 into some of my customers attics and installed an omni for their home wifi. We tend to service our customers right to the pc and it's a lot better router than a linksys. And I have happier customers and I'm happier.

The 2 port and the 4 port both have dual ethernet as well.

Pretty versatile product. Lonnie has come along way with the new war platform.

George

Travis Johnson wrote:
That's on quantity 30.... $149 each. 5.8ghz, dual polarity, up to 3 miles (add $40 for a dish and it goes up to 13 miles) and delivers up to 10Mbps. Hard to beat! And with SmartPolling on the AP, you can get hundreds of customers per sector.

Travis
Microserv

Rick Smith wrote:

that's only quantity (large!) pricing isn't it ?

Brian Rohrbacher wrote:

If it's pretty absent of trees you might look at 5.8. Trango has that cpe for $150. Not going to find any propriety gear cheaper.

Richard Goodin wrote:

I have been planning my WISP for about a year, and have yet to begin delivery of bandwidth to customers. My choice for service delivery was 802.11b, but with increased competition from other services nearby (about 5 miles away) I am wondering how to avoid problems. I have a 50' tower, and it is ROHN 45g. My choice for antennas would be 4 90 degree horizontal antennas. I have looked at bandwidth and shopped it to death. My best price is $400 from Lime Light. And I've built a couple of servers, acquired some switches and a router. The Router is a Cisco 1750.

My questions:

What CPE's and AP's would work best in this environment? I want to keep interferance to a minimum, as well as control costs. My environment includes lots of desert, and single story buildings.

Lee