Ok, assuming Real World Test win.....

How does your TCP test handle packet loss? Does it slow the test down to attempt to reduce packet loss until its gone? Thats what real world applications do, like FTP, and the real performance subscribers see, regardless of the Link's abilty to pass test traffic faster. I want to see the performance my customers experience.

If your link has 2% packetloss, what impact will that have on customer's performance with various applications? Will your TCP tests show that. I'm not passing judgement, I'll let you make that judgement you wrote it. But my TCP tests (Iperf) do not get me that information. I've lost customers insisting that their link was operating perfectly based on TCP speed test, only to learn that the custoemr was right, and their performance was getting destroyed by packet loss. This is an important issue with Wireless, when packet loss is possible, due to interference and environmental condition changes.

WRAP board were always in the 23
to 25 mbps range yet a UDP test would pull almost 35 mbps,

Our testing never saw that.

Typical numbers were always in the 1,800 to 2,000
KBytes/sec as reported by the FTP client.

I don't contest that, based on a lab environemnt without packetloss.
Did you repeat those tests, introducing interference/packet loss into the link? 2% packet loss with FTP, can bring your performance of a 25 mbps link down to 100 kbps.
Does your test, replicate those results?

I agree that TCP is a preferred test for a clean lab environment test, to test maximum obtainable speed. Butwho cares about that? What I want to know is what speed my link in the field is capable of doing, based on the conditions it is deployed in.

I'm not in the business of delivering commodity Up-To Burstable Services.

I am always amazed at how labels get applied.  To call something a
lower grade product

Understand, I was not saying your product is lower grade than other, buts saying that your product is not being as good as it can be, if it had more types of testing tools. Its what, a days work, to add Iperf to OS image?

>Results are what count, not
how pretty you look or how good you sound.

But how do you know what your results are? If tests don't test accurately?

It is strange
to have to lie to the customer to get a high grade product rating.
Maybe we don't need that, and for the most part my users don't want it
either.  They don't want packet loss either.  Most of them prefer to
have the whole file delivered intact.

This is where you are loosing me. I'm not aware of anyone that lies to give a higher grade offering. My comments are based on results I see in the field with live deployments, that cost me clients and save me clients.
I don't sell product or profit from what product user's select.

I am not judging your test tool, I have never performed test measuring the accuracy of your testing tool. I am simply asking you the real hard question, for you to evaluate whether your test tool, method considers all the factors that need to be tested. You tell me, but prove it, with an explanation of how your tool handles it.

Lonnie, its no big deal to us, we got a solution. We got Iperf running at every hop cell router, and have XP versions of Iperf to Email to our subscribers when tests need to be performed. Not all WISPs are in that position. Its to your advantage, to add the tools that WISP may want, sothey can make their technical decissions that meet their standard what ever tyhat may be, apposed to being locked into the vendor's opinion.

Lonnie, StarOS is a great product, I'm not trying to say otherwise, nor am I challenging the speed capabilties of the product. I'm jsut discussing test variables.

I admit, I tend to use Mikrotik more for my APs, because of the Virtual AP feature. Why? Because it saves me $200 a month per radio on roof lease fees, because I now can have one AP for all my wifi needs, instead of multiple APs on the roof for various needs, and I only need one channels for all my needs, instead of multiple channels for various needs. (Wep compatibilty mode, WPA high security mode, HotSpot Free public access, VLAN protected provisioning mode). It will be great when you get Virtual AP added to the product. It gets hard for me to test performance between a StarOS client and a Mikrotik AP, without a standardized test tool embedded in the radio. I got Iperf on the cell servers. But I'd love to be able to test performance to the CPE, without calling the customer to assist, and see the results I'm getting on the spot. It puts me in a vulnerable possition SLA wise and response time wise.

You can take the advise or leave it. Just my 2 cents.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lonnie Nunweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>