I've always looked at Alvarion as being carrier grade or as close as anything I've seen.

And they are a fine company.

George

Steve Stroh wrote:

Tom:

My defense of Alvarion is pretty mild. They're definitely drifting down the innovation curve, not up. They're incredibly arrogant about not doing Wi-Fi despite the growing, impressive wins of Wi-Fi mesh vendors. They're not doing mesh, etc. They now are involved pretty deeply in the cellular and WiMAX industry, and that seems to have the vast majority of their corporate attention. But, in their (mild) defense, they're meeting the demands from their identified customers. (They don't seem to recognize what a trap this can be; apparently no one there has read "The Innovator's Dilemma".)

There are certainly WISPs that come really close to a working definition of carrier-grade; I didn't mean to imply that they didn't exist.

Great points, all - yours was one of the best pieces of reading I've seen on the WISP-related lists in a long time - it elevated the SNR.

Thanks,

Steve