Peter,

I worked with C.L. Hoewing when I was on the board.  He was thoughtful and
insightful, but had no more influence on USIIA's activities or policies than
anyone else.

> Excuse me, but USIIA has never been a friend of the independent ISP.
> USIIA and Dave McClure have pro RBOC on almost every issue.

Care to give some examples?  USIIA's official positions are very
pro-independent ISP.  You can find them here:
http://www.usiia.org/legis/legis.htm.

The only policy that I can think of that you might misconstrue to be
pro-RBOC is the one of eliminating the requirement that RBOCs open their DSL
networks to independent ISPs.  I was on the board when the Brand X Internet
case was being debated.  I supported USIIA's official position.

For those who aren't familiar with the Brand X Internet case, Brand X is the
name of an ISP that wanted to force open access to the cable networks so
that they could deliver high-speed Internet over the cable network.  The
case went to the Supreme Court.

USIIA's position was and is that there needs to be regulatory parity between
broadband network types.  That means DSL and cable (and wireless and
satellite and broadband over power lines, etc) need to operate under the
same set of rules.  Up till then, DSL networks were regulated (and forced
open to independent ISPs) and cable networks were not regulated (and not
open to independent ISPs).

USIIA's also took the position that less regulation is better.  Rather than
add regulation to the cable networks (which would certainly be later
expanded to regulate wireless and satellite and broadband over power line
networks, etc), USIIA supported removal of regulation of DSL networks.

Yes, that might seem like pro-RBOC.  But it was good for the independent
WISP.  Had the Supreme Court ruling gone the other way, we'd be looking at
laws that would force wireless network operators, like those on this list,
to open their networks to their competitors.

Dave

989-837-3790 x 151
989-837-3780 fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]