I want to preface this email with the statement that I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT support this law, it is an invasion of privacy and places an undue burden of responsibility on an ISP.

Now that being said, as I read the article, and as some have pointed out the information being requested for archive is merely websites visited and email address sent to. This information is trivial to gather and really not that burdensome to archive. I currently run about 4Mbps-5Mbps of traffic from 8am to midnight and a months worth of these logs uncompressed only takes up about 7G of space. Compression will save me 60% of that so it is more like 3G for a month of 4-5Mbps. This fits nicely on a single DVD-R for achiving once a month. Even scaling this up to 30X the traffic for a DVD/day gets you 120-150Mbps daily average traffic.

Your total cost on something like this would be
1. a Mikrotik box (or any router that supports the netflow protocol) to sit right before your edge router (or as your edge router).
2. A PC to capture the data with a DVD+-R drive total cost < $500.
3. And then a spindle of DVD media at ~ $15/100 DVDs.

This puts the grand total in at well under $2000 one time cost and then whatever personnel cost you want to assign to burning a DVD once a month, or if you are lucky enough to have enough customers to require 120Mbps, once a day.

I think it is important if we are going to draft something up to address this issue that we address it with facts. For most ISPs coming up with the money to achieve this while a PITA is not going to cause the business to go bankrupt. I achieved this using equipment I already have in place. My DS3 MT router sends the netflow data to the box I use for system/network monitoring. I currently do not archive this data to DVD because I have only been collecting it for a month, but I highly doubt I will unless required to by law. The only reason I collect this data is for IP accounting and troubleshooting and will probably keep no more than a month or two of the full data. But it sure comes in handy when a customer calls up and says that they haven't had internet for the past 2 weeks and I can pull up the charts that show they have. Or they say that things have been running real slow lately and I can look at the flow data and see that their kids have been using P2P applications or doing large FTP downloads.

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless