Tom DeReggi wrote:

Answer #1: Thats debatable. Do you not recall year 2000. 26 of the largest 29 telecom companies filed for Bankruptcy. Name brand ment bankrupt. Even for Cisco! Lets not forget who the largest investor was in Cogent, now Cisco's owned network.

Back then folks were building companies with different understandings of the market than today; name brand gear had nothing to do with it. Certainly, plenty of open source companies didn't make it either.

There is some irony here. I'm happy with Cogent. I put my confidence in Cogent a soley Cisco Name Brand equipment network. Well for my backbone that is. Even though I religious have chosen a proprietary modification of Open Source on our local transport network. But Cogent's bankruptcy was highly due to not being able to afford their own Cisco equipment. So moral of this story... USe Cisco when someone else pays for it, so they go bankrupt and not you.

That isn't the moral of the story; its not even a good story. Cogent was recently trading at a new 52-week high until they decided to raise 93 million on a stock offering. I invested in Cogent when they were trading in the low $4s and sold around $10. I am quite happy with my return on investment. Would I be able to say that about your company? Don't answer that.

Investors look for companies that have a real opportunity to gain significant market share due to a competitive advantage. However, these same investors want to limit their risk by making sure the company in question doesn't risk too much. That means if you are going to be different than other telecom companies then pick and choose carefully what standards you follow and where you innovate.

Answer #2: Because people that can afford name brand have capitol and funding. And logically companies that have adequate capitol and funding often do better than companies that do not. The missing peice of this puzzle is.... How well would a company with equivellent funding and capitol do if they chose Open Source instead? I'd argue they'd be a stunning success. The only difference is that they would be more likely to invest more in their employees than in their equipment vendors. Possibly encourage migratation to an employee owned company, or where the wealth got spread more evenly between the participants.

No serious VC would invest in a telecom company that didn't use name brand gear for their network. It doesn't make any sense to do so. All in all the gear may be the same, but why take the extra risk. When it comes right down to it, name brand gear isn't that much more expensive. You should be able to make a business using name brand gear just fine.

I think you missed the boat on this topic. Large companies (well funded and capitolized) could do well with Open Source, because they are more likely to reach the economic proportion (growth) to spread the high cost of maintenance and software development between many subscibers. The providers that suffer from Open Source sometimes are the smaller ISPs. The reason is they under estimate the time involved in Open Source, and do not have enough scale (subscribers or revenue) to justify the costs of addative development.

Your last statement is the reason to avoid anything that is not your core competency. I have decades of software development experience, but we pay software vendors for things like CRM, accounting, case management, etc. Just because I could spend the time building software that would likely be better and cheaper than what we are using doesn't mean I should. My time is better spent building our business. Network gear, radio gear, software, etc are all just means to an end. We are in the business of selling a service; not building products.

-Matt