Yes the answer is not. But the question is one of great interest to me, and I'm interested in learning from others experience on the topic.

ON our network our biggest focus right now is to improve the methods to shorten time and improve acracy of diagnosing performance issue on a network. We have great tools that help us find problems that other ISPs often don;t even realize exist becauyse they have limited their abilty to test their network based on how they designed it. But it takes us way to long to conclusivelly come up with a diagnosis because their are so many possible places where failures could occurs to contribute to degregation. I'm not talking about major failures. I'm talking about reported problems like... Intermittent disconnects. Intermittent VOIP quality performance. Etc. (I am NOT saying that we have an overly large amount of problems, I'm just saying a large numbner of people report problems because networking is complicated and end users are under trained.). 95% of the time we can clear our name and prove that causes were related to issues off of our network. But it can take a lot of tiem to prove it. And if you don;t prove it, how do you know your network really is operating correctly. So how does this problem apply to this thread?... Well, if I simplify my network, there will be fewer things to look at in the diagnosis process. What simplications can be made, without compromising performance or abilty to trouble shoot the network conclusively? These questions need to be asked when considering routing versus bridged. Do you consider the needs of your prospective clients, or your needs to better offer your core services? All things to be considered.

Right now we are both 100% routed and 95% VLANed. It gives us a lot of power and security features. But I tell you it is a super management headache. I'm looking for ways to simplify. Do I go more towards Layer2 or more towards Layer3? Thats a question I'm looking at hard right now.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Hendry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'WISPA General List'" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:14 AM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] looking for a device

So that's a no then Tom ;)

Using various bandwidth test tools (such as the one builtin to Mikrotik)
from/to multiple source/destinations you can generate all sorts of traffic
profiles. You can decide on the size of the packets, layer 4, direction and
even bandwidth so I'd say it's very possible to set-up a test environment
that isn't too far of real world. Anyone else tested?