Jack Unger wrote:
First, our "small group" can certainly influence manufacturers. The voice of an industry trade organization (which is what we are) carries a lot of weight if we simply decide to use that voice to speak out. Only if we say nothing, will our voice carry no weight. In that case, we might as well cease to exist.

We can influence manufacturers by explaining what we want them to produce and if they produce it we will buy it. Take for example the whole thread on MTU size, which seemed to get at least one manufacture to take notice. That however is because they could actually lose sales if they don't pay attention to our needs. I personally don't see any benefit provided by current non-certified gear, so its not like I will start buying the gear if it was certified. Therefore, what incentive would such a manufacture have knowing my position? I guess a better question is what benefit does non-certified gear have over certified gear? I personally don't see the benefit, so why waste time trying to convince the manufacture to certify it?
Second, I'd venture a guess that many WISPA members DO sometimes buy non-certified equipment. We can't make a blanket statement that all WISPA members buy only certified equipment. Even if it were true that all WISPA members bought only certified equipment (and I'll bet you a steak dinner that it's not true) what about all the other WISPs and WISP-industry providers who are on our mailing lists and who are influenced by what we say and do? Is it WISPA's job to stand up for what's legal and what's right or should WISPA just say "Forget it, we don't care, it's not our job, and we're too busy".

I am all for standing up for what is legal, but what does that mean in practical terms for WISPA?
I submit that it's part of our job to educate the industry. If WISPs don't know that certification is a requirement, then IT'S OUR JOB to help them learn. Once they know the laws of the industry that they are joining then they will want to buy certified equipment.

Why is it our job?
By the way, who would start a business in an industry and then not want to know the laws that regulate that industry? How far would I get (and how smart would I be) if I opened a new restaurant in your neighborhood but I didn't stop long enough to learn about the sanitation laws in your city? Would you feel confident bringing your new girlfriend to my restaurant on Friday night?

Those are interesting questions that don't seem to apply to my position. A more analogical question would be should the other restaurants help you learn what you are unwilling to do on your own? How long will a business survive with such an attitude? Why not just wait for them to die on their own?

-Matt