Hi Tom, I remember our nice little seafood feast afterward too (is George on
the WISPA list also?). As I recall, the conversation revolved around
certified gear. The rules change they made did not include or cover
uncertified systems, because I would assume, by definition, they do not
exist as part of the legal process. In other words, the FCC was not trying
to make life of law breakers even easier. They were trying to improve the
flexibility so manufacturers could be more responsive to customer needs by
getting more antenna choices included within the manufacturers master system
certification. Basically, all they did was relax a little the existing
"permissive change" rules.

I believe the FCC was reluctant to give operators carte blanche, because it
would be a strain on resources to track accountability and enforcement.
Reigning in a few manufacturers who have major incentive to follow the rules
is a lot different than trying to keep track of thousands of WISPs, many
already flying under the radar (not filing form 477, etc.) AND many of whom
who have already shown a massive propensity to ignore -- willfully or
ignorantly -- the rules as they are. Use whatever clichés you want --
"asking the fox to guard the hen house," "giving the inmates the keys to the
asylum,"...they all apply. I think you have to acknowledge that the abuse is
rampant and one of the only reasons it is less rampant now is that so many
systems come integrated with antennas, PoE, and high power (internal
integrated amps).

>From the vendors standpoint, I understand the FCC position and I also
understand the quality (and legal) WISPs position. I would like to see an
independent body that could provide WISP technician certification that the
FCC could accept (and hold accountable), much like a PE needs to sign off on
certain design documents in many mechanical fields. I envisioned such a
thing a few years ago, using the BICSII RCDD as the model.

Anyway, also a vendor I am relieved too that operators cannot make their own
choices in the sense of the nightmare this would create for both system
performance (e.g. MAJOR tech support costs and head aches) and warranty
issues. You cannot fathom the massive costs we'd incur as every WISP making
its own antenna choice came to us about performance, capacity, and coverage
issues for which the antenna plays such a key role. How could we answer
questions? How could we assert performance specs? How could we predict
coverage and capacity? How could we advise about co-location issues? Etc. ad
nauseum.

Let me ask you this: would you willingly warranty and support your end
user's end-to-end experience across your network from the desktops to the
Internet while also permitting the user to implement whatever router,
switch, etc. he/she wanted?

Patrick Leary
AVP Marketing
Alvarion, Inc.