I am sure it has been asked before but...
I need a good source for shielded Cat 5 (with a drain wire). Can you tell me who to call and what the price is per 1000'? I think we paid some ridiculous amount for it recently. What's the best you have seen and who has it?
Thanks guys,
Scriv

George Rogato wrote:

I've used these guys for grounding the shield of a cat5 cable:

http://www.oregonfast.net/gofast/Spruce/4460-D%20Shield%20connector-1.pdf

Eric Rogers wrote:

I was just referring to the shielding by bonding it to the cat5 crimp on ends, not soldiering them to the tower or grounding materials. There is only a friction bond between the cat5 end and the grounded casing of the surge arrestor. I would think the friction bond would have more resistance in a strike, causing it to heat up faster than the resistance of the soldier.

Again, with millions of volts, I don’t think the Cat5 cable would hold it as well. The key to the whole system is the grounding to the tower site itself. In this case, there are 3 runs of 5/8” or larger copper running from the grounding grid to the very top of the tower and 2 cad welded to the tower base and the grounding grid. Hopefully the lightning will choose the path of the copper or tower, and not my run of cat5. The shielding and soldier is only to dissipate static buildup and keep the potential voltages as close to equal as I can.

My thoughts are that if the antenna’s and equipment at the top are grounded to the tower, the equipment at the bottom, and all the surge suppression for the cat5 and coax runs are all grounded to the same ground plane, the potential voltage difference between any one location should be near 0, and there should be no need for it to travel up/down my cat5 run.

Hopefully it will never need to go through my soldier joint or the pressure of the spring steel in the surge suppression. :)

Eric