I use an APC SU700NET with an AP9617 SNMP card.  In the firmware version
that I have (SNMP card, that is), there are 151 'events' for which you can
specify actions.  You can set severity (Severe, Warning, Informational) on
each event.  Each severity can be configured to trigger alarms (Syslog, SNMP
traps, e-mail notifications).  So when there is a temporary power sag it
notifies a 9-5 e-mail list that may just go to our e-mail accounts.  When
there is a power outage we send it to an e-mail list that has our
pagers/cell phones on it.  It notifies us when the battery will soon be
exhausted, and when the power comes back on.

With the stock batteries we get anywyere from 2-3 hours to respond.  If it
takes us 30 minutes to get to the AP site then if the power hasn't come back
on in about 45 minutes we gear up to go with a generator.  I asked on this
list, and someone had connected external batteries to this UPS to give it a
longer run-time.

You can get the refurbished UPS usually for about $80-$90 on e-bay, then the
SNMP card will cost you about $125-$150 on e-bay.

The UPS is about 5" wide and we put them sideways inside outdoor boxes.
Their specs say that they need 1" clearance for ventilation but I've never
had a problem with them inside 6" deep boxes.  The smallest box it will fit
in is 18"Hx18"Wx6"D.  With external batteries, you would have to figure out
your needs for storage.

This is not an expensive solution at all if all you need is a couple hours
runtime.

Mark Nash
Network Engineer
UnwiredOnline.Net