Just keep the laptop home for nice use... and buy one of these for those
site surveys, etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ITRONIX-IX260-GOBOOK-II-RUGGED-LAPTOP-1-8GHz-512MB-40GB_W0QQitemZ280025331886QQihZ018QQcategoryZ177QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:)

Some older versions, like the IX250, have outdoor viewable screens, can be
dropped without damage, etc, and you can buy them for 300 or less.

I like the touchscreen too.

I have an older version that's tough as nails, has a double pc card slot...
but limited RAM.   I find the combination of WIN98SE and netstumbler too
unstable with the drivers for an Orinoco card to be useful for site surveys,
however.   If I could find something that would work,  this would be a great
tool.    I've dropped it several times already and it's been stepped on and
kicked around, and bounced around the van a bit and seems utterly unfazed by
it all.

I didn't lose much, though.   The laptop cost me just a bit more than a new
pc card :)   If I recall, it was under $100 with shipping.

neofast.net - fast internet for North East Oregon and South East Washington
email me at mark at neofast dot net
541-969-8200
Direct commercial inquiries to purchasing at neofast dot net