Mac Dearman wrote:
West Corporation bought Intrado for 465 million dollars not including
expenses. I think that makes Intrado pretty sound and West Corporation is up
24% to $460 million in revenues in their second quarter reports 2006. Who
are they? Hell who really cares? They had 460 million CASH - - someone knows
them well and does a lot of business with them!

In fact West did not have $460M in cash. Their balance sheet for Q405 (before the transaction) showed just over $34M in cash, which is why the press release stated they would use cash, debt, and a credit line for the acquisition. You can see the effect of the acquisition on their balance sheet now, which shows they have $33M in cash and $736M in debt. Compare that with Vonage, which currently has $597M in cash and $278M in debt. Clearly, Vonage has a stronger balance sheet, but that doesn't mean much in and of itself.

Anyway, my point remains the same; Intrado had a problem with their business that gave West the opportunity to buy them. Whether West can make it work remains to be seen.
 You can try to trash anything, but that does not change the truth of what
is going on at Intrado, West Communications or their partners. You can
schpill a bunch of crap, but that is not going to change the fact that you
are not legal in what you are doing if you aren't providing e911 for your
VoIP clients.
I haven't trashed anything; just shared facts, which you don't seem to like. Further, you don't need Intrado to provide e911 services. Why? Because Intrado is just buying the e911 trunks from the ILECs anyway. Anyone can purchase a DS1 e911 trunk to each of the selective routers they may need to cover their market area. If you are a WISP, you don't need national e911 coverage; you need local e911 coverage. Think about that... Intrado et all have a business model based on providing e911 services to national over the internet VoIP providers who need national e911 coverage. Why pay for national e911 service when you can get a single DS1 from your local ILEC and be done with it?
Now, as far as we are concerned - for any and all that want to sell their
VoIP solution (or ours) and not worry about having the FCC breathe down
their necks - - I am offering a solution that will allow that at a price
that will not send them to the bank or wonder how they are going to manage
to pay next months bills due to an outrageous expense where there is no ROI.
I am doing my best to make it easier on the WISP while you are trying to
make them believe that you have the only solution or our solution has
serious flaws. I have no doubt that you are a knowledgeable person, but dude
- you are not the God of VoIP! Can you ever speak well of what someone else
is doing or what the industry has happening? Is it always a terrible thing
if you aren't in the middle of it?

I've never stated I have the only solution. Criticizing your email doesn't make my solution better or worse. It does however share facts about the situation with others who are less informed. You should know that not only have we been selling VoIP service to our customers for over a year now, we also looked at Intrado as a solution. However, we found that Intrado's solution didn't make sense for us and I would argue doesn't make sense for any WISP.
As far as providing e911 where there is NO 911 services - - well that says
it all. That would be like building a 5 star hotel in the ghetto. Nomadic
e911 is one method of handling that until the actual 911 build out is
accomplished. It does make you legal if you are doing business in a place
like that. I don't have a clue as to where that would be, but it is better
than a bed pan and two drum sticks. It is a honest effort to accomplish what
is not yet possible. I didn't say it was the best - - I said it would get
you by to make you legal.

Nomadic e911 and the FCC's requirement to have e911 in all areas where the service is marketed at two separate issues. There is simply no way around the FCC's requirement today if e911 service is not available. Vonage et all don't care, but the FCC is pretty clear.
I am also unsure what MANUAL administrative processes you are referring too
and if you would care to hit me off list with that I will do my darndest to
understand.

I provided an example of a PSAP requiring that database updates be supplied via fax.
I think the crowd has answered the rest of your email as far as what has
kept them out of the VoIP business :-) I will not debate this on list any
further as far as the technical goes, but I will say if you need a fine e911
provider and you are a WISPA member - - hit me off list for your discounted
price, full service - FCC Certified letter guaranteeing our compliance and I
will be happy to reply.
I saw the opposite set of responses where others stated they have been providing VoIP for a while without e911.

-Matt