Good points. Likely I will not touch it again unless it breaks. I'll try to get a make on the "good" cable, but I know the cheap stuff I ran yesterday is the arc wireless shielded, flooded, drainwire, I picked up 6 months ago when it was $69 a roll.

Brian

Tom DeReggi wrote:

So the question that arises, is why did that fix it?

I see two possibilities....

1) Poor quality cable or cable shields. (Loss running Ethernet data parallel to power)
2) Sharing a CAT5 jack on the 532 main board for Power and Data.

Travis previously talked about the horrid RF interferrence that the 532 board generated when using 48V, due to the 532 onboard power converter/supply. I'm wondering if the distortion/loss was at the board itself apposed to cable?

It would have been interesting to know, if you used one cable for both data and power, but terminated the data pairs to a different Ethernet port instead of the POE port used for power.

What also would have been interesting would have been to know wether a 18V power supply would have worked on a shared single cable.

Different ethernet chipsets do have different characteristics and ranges. So it is possible that just the different chip made the difference based on compatibilty or characteristics of chip. But the other reasons are just as probable.

What brand (not just shield type) cable were you using? I realize that you would not likely pursue additional tests as you found a fix already, but it would be interesting to know, just so we can keep collecting data should we experience similar problems in the future.

We had a similar situation that was due to chipset. We ran 10 mbps ethernet 550 feet to our subscriber. (different radio brand). We used a slightly higher power voltage to make up for cable loss. Our laptops worked great over the link. The customer's 3 identical routers could not stay connected for long. We were not sure if it was a speed autodetection issue, or the distance for the chip to work. We installed a 10mbps Cisco Switch in between their router and our cable dmarc in their premise, and it all worked.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Rohrbacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>