From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:25 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Alvarion VL Fixes Problems with Backhaul Links

Because, over the years I lost 100% of my high ARPU subs that used 5830-ext
in these areas. Yes that REALLY hurt the financials of my business.  The
reason, is that its a high noise environment where we're attempting to
deploy, and its impossible to offer zero packet loss solutions with TDD
unless ARQ is available, in these situations.  It makes it worse with all
the WiFi gear going up, because you don;t know its there half the time,
until its starts transmiting. (darn I hate contention based). Yes, of
course, Beta ARQ firmware exists for the 5830-ext, but it can't be used
reliably.  One of the big mistakes I made is I tried to use it, and learned
that it locks up the SU radios every couple of days, when under heavy load.
I did my testing of it on about 10 links. I started on 4 low use links, and
it appeared to be stable, with only a random lockup every couple of weeks
that I thought was something else. But after I installed it on the high
volume links (other 6), they started locking up like crazy. (yes used most
recent supposedly fixed firmware). Auto-Reboot devices causing two minutes
of downtime for a reboot, is not adequate for High ARPU large office T1s and

VOIP services. I'd rather not have the business, than to get my reputation
tarnished by installing links the subscriber ends up cancelling and
complaining about.  Evey T1 that gets cancelled means there is a MTU
property owner involved that got the word (they make the referals) and a
trusted advisor Computer guy (agents that give stamp of approval) that gets
scared off, when they learn about the failure. Deals with partners that took

months to build get thrown away over night, with a couple reboots from buggy

ARQ firmware.

What you can't forget is that in PtMP, you can't encrease the antenna side
of the AP. Not everything can be solved with the big antenna on SU side.
Without ARQ one is toast.

Trango gave me so much hope when they developed ARQ for the 5800 Foxes,
which works fantastically. I'd select the Fox over a 5830-ext any day
because of ARQ. But thats not good enough, I need ARQ and EXT connectors.
Last year,  I made Trango aware that we needed ARQ on 5830-EXT and Link-10s
more than anything, and a year later, we still don't have it, and its not on

their priority list.  That is frustrating for my business.  Customers don't
wait in Urban Tier1 markets.  When the Link doesn't go up in a few days, or
their were a couple of noise issues that scare them, they have already
placed their order with someone else.

What it has forced me to do, is slowly start swapping out my Trango APs, to
make room (spectrum and antenna lease fees) for radios that can deliver
packetlossless links.  Even Wifi gear can offer packetlossless links.  And
its forced me to go back and re-negotiate my contracts with property owners
to try and not pay per antenna, so I can get more antennas of larger size
(PtP) for less money on the roofs.  Its a BIG waste of time, that I wouldn't

have to do, if Trango added ARQ reliable ARQ to 5830-ext.

I'm still a Big Trango fan, and still am basing my business around its
product, because of its value proposition, but I am loosing sales and
getting more black eyes than I have to, because Trango does not have a EXT
antenna product line that delivers reliable ARQ.  I haven't bought a new
Trango 5830 AP in ages, I have to many pulls on the shelf waiting, when I
need one.  If Trango never released ARQ for the FOX, I would have never kown

what I was missing. But now that I have experienced it, I can't live without

it.

The two biggest reasons, for lack of progress in my company is, 1) Waiting
for technology, and 2) Waiting for finance to come through.  I can't count
how much money I burned just waiting.  I don't want to wait any more. I'm
tired of waiting. I don't have the energy to keep waiting. I want it now.  I

need it now.  This is a time to market business, where there is a domino
effect of disaster tied to waiting.

So when a company like Alvarion or Valemont come out with a product that
will do the job, and I no longer have to wait, I see no reason to wait.