Common carrier refers to things other than Telecom. Trucking companies, bus lines, rail transport, air lines to name some.

The common denominator seems to be providing transport for data, product or people that is for general, public hire at established rates. I'm sure there is more to this definition, but this seems to be a good, working definition.

I'm not a lawyer.

A more interesting question is this:

If you are a Telco, and you offer voice mail services to your customers, do you have the right or an obligation to archive their voice messages without their knowledge and consent, absent a court order to do so?

Matt Liotta wrote:

I find it interesting that people are stating their organizations are common carriers. The term common carrier has a very specific legal meaning. Specifically, a common carrier is an entity licensed by the FCC or a state agency to supply local and/or long distance telecommunications services to the general public at established and stated rates.

How many WISPs fit the above definition?

-Matt

Tim Kerns wrote:

As a common carrier I can understand and agree. What about providing E-mail services to our customers, do we then need to keep copies of all e-mail that comes into or goes out our server?

Tim Kerns

----- Original Message ----- From: "Blair Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>