----- Original Message ----- From: "Butch Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 900 Mhz Mikrotik SR9 Clients

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Marlon K. Schafer wrote:

How many ip addys does each customer need in a fully routed network? gateway, ip and broadcast. I see that as three. Or does a /30 use up four?

The customer will still use 1.

What about the gateway and broadcast addresses? Yeah, the customer only uses one, but it takes more than one to provide that.

Can we use a /24 gateway ip for /30 routes?

Either way, by bridging each customer only needs one.

your customers don't have a gateway? The only difference in routing and bridging as far as this is concerned, is where the gateway IP resides.

I think you're missunderstanding what I'm trying to say. If we did a network of /30 addresses how many customers can be put on a class c (256 addresses)?

If we just bridge that same class C how many customers can we put on it?

The benefits that come with routing to each customer can be made up for by using a router and/or firewall at each cpe and by blocking client to client communications. Both this and routing result in the same thing eh? Customers don't mess with the other customers or the network.

Controlling client to client comms on a single AP will only limit access to other clients of the same AP...It will not prevent customer a on AP1 from communicating with customer a on AP2.

That's where the vlan switches come in. They'll prevent that from happening.

--
Butch Evans
http://www.butchevans.com/