The legality and ethics of using an open access point is questionable, but there is a liability issue as well. In most of the areas that I cover with my network, there is a strong signal with SSID of NoDial. Connecting to this will get you a DHCP address even, without a WEP or other encryption key. Until I know that you have connected and moved your mac address to a list that authorizes your connection, all of your outbound packets will be sent to http://64.123.108.28:80 This brings up a liability issue. If the emergency communication van tech wastes 2 hrs trying to get hold of me, get connected to the internet, or whatever, and $10M of houses burn down, because they couldn't get to the fire department via a hacked VOIP solution, then am I gonna get sued? If they connect to my private home network that I intentionally left open, and my custom made uber-hacker passive/aggressive firewall unleashes a blackops virus that turns their laptops into bricks. Then what?

I guess, that by JohnnyO's example, if you come into my open door and try to visit with my wife, and you step on a rake that gives you a brain anurism, I guess that makes me guilty (or not guilty) of manslaughter. I lost score in this ballgame.

If the cops are in a pursuit in my neighborhood, and run their squad car off the road breaking the radio, and they want to use my home phone to call the office, I would let them. Not because I HAVE to, but to be a good citizen. If I HAD to, then the 4th amendment just went out the window.

pd

Jack Unger wrote:

Holy brainfade, JohnnyO.

Your comments about "highly illegal" just went STRAIGHT over my head.

What's illegal about Brian's emergency communications operation? Hams have been providing emergency communications services since (literally) the sinking of the Titanic.

jack

JohnnyO wrote:

Brian - Ham Operator or not - do you realize that what you're planning
on doing is HIGHLY illegal and has several people over the past 2 yrs in
Federal Prison as we speak ?

Why don't ya'll get a VSAT system that works well for VOIP ? The cost is
only about $60/mo more and you have no restrictions on bandwidth or
stupid filtering like Wild Blue does....

JohnnyO