From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Butch Evans
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 1:49 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Dual-WAN routers

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, David E. Smith wrote:

>> This is for the end user cpe side. I'd like to see both fail-over and
>> load balancing but fail-over is priority. No need for wireless. I'll
>> look into the microtik. Thanks! -RickG

Rick, keeping in mind that "load balancing" where you don't control both
ends of both links is not truly possible, there is a way to SORT OF get this
effect.  The problem is that some things have to be treated in a special way
when you are using NAT (actually, masquerade, but we won't go there).  VoIP,
P2P, VPN and a few others come to mind.  Either way, there are some things
you can do to make this work with MT, and it's not that hard, but it IS a
bit time consuming to get it right.

As for failover, there are several ways to do this, and some of them are
pretty simple.  A bit of scripting knowledge is required, but other than
that, it is not that bad to do.  There are some examples in the manual (as
David pointed out)

>Mikrotik RouterOS manual. In a pinch, I know we've got one or two
>Mikrotik trainers on the list; you could get them to show you how to do
>it. You only have to pay for it once, then you can just copy-and-paste
>the configuration from there on out. :D

Well, copy/paste for policy routing is not really that cut and dried.  It is
best to understand what the policy states, then moving it to a new system is
not that hard.  As I said, it is somewhat time consuming to get it working,
however.

>Fair warning, I haven't used the RouterBoard 150 hardware I mentioned,
>but most of their other hardware has treated me well, so I wouldn't
>expect that board to be any different.

I like the 150...it is a very inexpensive solution for a low end router
(just $70 plus a case and powersupply).  The 153 is only $120 and you can
add radio cards.

--
Butch Evans
http://www.butchevans.com/