I'd agree with your plan Marlon, but in all thuthfullness, I doubt you've ever tried Star-os.... I would be shocked if you actually did, because you have to route to use Star and we know your a bridger not a router.

I have 700 wireless subs comming off a star wireless backhaul with no issues to date.

I've been using Star-os for my PtP's and PtMP's for years and I can tell you Star works just fine for backhauls. As a matter of fact I have yet to find where it doesn't work well.

Lots of wispa are using Star and MT for backhauls.
Now Smart Bridges, I will agree with you on.

Cisco, Tranzeo, I would also have a hard time believing don't work for backhauls. But I have limited experience with those.

If Jim is just starting out, he may have budget restraints, and with that I'd definatly be looking at Star for a backhaul.
10-20K verses 1-2k is quite a difference.

And if he did have an issue that arose from interference along the way, he could easily, easily make the bigger investment in orthogon radios.
And then he could use the star in other places.

I would start out being conservative first.

George

Marlon K. Schafer wrote:
Hi Jim,

FIRST, find a place in KC that's high enough to see your local. OR a spot mid way to your local.

If you can get Bandwidth at that spot AND see your head end, then this is a no brainier for me. Drop in an Orthogon link and off you go. (note, you may be under a long term contract with your t-1) My guess is that you'll need 4' dishes on each end to get the link reliable, your vendor should be able to tell you for sure though.

If you end up cutting the link in two, I'd go with something a bit more small scale. The new Alvarion BH units would likely do the trick. I like the new Airaya radios as well. Use as many links as it takes.

For this distance you are likely looking at $10,000 to $20,000. On a 5 year loan the price of that will likely be very close to the cost of your t-1 transport!

One other note Jim. WiFi is NOT reliable for backhaul to more than a few subscribers. I use wifi only to feed towers that handle less than 100 users out here. I don't care what band it's in.... WiFi, ALL WiFi has a backoff mechanism in place for when it hits interference. You want a backhaul system that does NOT use any such mechanism. The backhaul radios should always keep trying. Orthogon, Motorola, Alvarion, Trango etc. work for me. StarOS, Mikrotik, Cisco, Tranzeo, SmartBridges etc. don't work for me.

Touch base with me if you'd like to talk about this some more.

laters,
marlon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Stout" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>