"If your talking boxed units like netgear, dlink, and linksys sell, Of
course they are certified. Is the certification void if it was torn
apart and had a bigger antenna and amplifier added, probably not, unless
it is to their certified specs."

That would be uncertified. This is not a debatable point. This would be
taking a consumer device, which is built to permit "self-installation"
into a device for which the FCC says there must be a "professional"
installation. These are the most confusing parts of the rules for
novices, but basically if you are installing for another end user, you
are assumed to be "professional," which actually imposes certain
liabilities and responsibilities on you.

Further, this would void the certification EVEN if it still met the
manufacturer specs because, for better of worse, only the OEM
manufacturer can self-certify antenna changes. George, you were in the
room at the FCC with me when they told us this so you know it. It is
impossible to forget since Marlon pounded them about for most of the
meeting but they would not budge that only a manufacturer can pick and
chose additional antennas and then only antennas of equal or less power
AND with similar specs (relative to emissions on sidelobs, etc.). Really
all that was done in that ruling was to make the "permissive change"
rules more simple. None of this was done for the protection of the
manufacturers, but rather to make sure the FCC had one throat to choke.

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.
o: 650.314.2628