Tom - Please see my answers inline.

Tom DeReggi wrote:

Jack,

Is there a technical difference between a notch filter and a bandpass filter?

Yes. A bandpass filter is designed to pass (with only a dB or two of attenuation) a "band" of frequencies - hence the name "bandpass". Everything outside the bandpass frequency range is significantly attenuated. A notch filter is designed to notch out (attenuate) a rather narrow frequency range that contains a loud, interfering signal (like paging).

Is it possible the 930 notch only attenuates 930, and does not help with the other potential harmful interferers such as the upper 800s, and the higher than 930 stuff?

Yes, exactly correct. A 930 MHz notch filter only notches out the 930 MHz frequency range and not the upper 800 MHz frequency range where the cellular band stops (at 885 MHz). Frequencies way above 930 are also not notched out. This is OK for most WISPs because the interference closest to the 902-928 MHz band is paging at 929 and 930 MHz.

I'm jsut trying to get an idea of whether a WISP really needs an assortment of filters in their tool chest to try what helps best, in absense of a spectrum analizer.

A spectrum analyzer and the knowledge about how to use it is the best interference reduction tool. The next best tool is a good pair of eyes hooked up to a brain that can recognize paging and cell sites (which are often co-located together). When a WISP knows what these sites look like, the WISP can drive around within a half-mile or so of their prospective AP location and use their eyes to spot potential paging and cell sites that would cause overload problems.

It also may matter depending on what unlicensed radio type.

Yes, some radio receivers are better than others in terms of receiver selectivity. More filtering in the receiver makes a receiver that is less likely to be overloaded by nearby paging and cell sites therefore less likely to need an external filter. More filtering also makes the receiver more expensive. The manufacturer of a PCMCIA card that costs maybe $20 to make can not afford to spend $75 to include a good receiver filter; also there may not be enough room on the card for the filter components.

For example the Ubiquiti 900 card has excellent filtering built in, for the noise a bit farther away, but not good for the close in adjacent noise. Maybe the inexpensive 930 notch filter is ideal for use with the Ubiquiti 900 card?

Yes. Most low-cost receivers would benefit significantly when used with an external (correctly selected and designed) bandpass or notch filter. The best use of the notch filter is when there is nearby paging but not nearby cellular.

Up on a tower, the noise may not just be the close in paging.

Up on the tower, the poor receiver gets hit with everything - in-band noise from other network sites and out of band noise from paging and cellular and other nearby transmitters. For best results, a WISP needs the spectrum analyzer to know what's really out there before choosing an AP site. Once a site is chosen, it's necessary to "design around" the noise through proper antenna system selection. While a selection of filters would help, a better method is to understand the sources of noise, know how to detect and measure it, then know how to "design around" it. These are the techniques that I've been writing about and teaching about since 2001 and practicing since 1993. With practice, anyone can get good at reducing noise, thereby maximizing WISP performance and reliability.

jack

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband