To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] P2P Apps Going Legit?

Ares Ultra costs the customer around $50 from what I hear. It ENCRYPTS the P2P traffic, and the Mikrotik will NOT recognize it as P2P traffic, so it will take EVERY AVAILABLE PACKET that your AP can push out. The way I have dealt with this is to disable the client (at the radio level) and when they call, I tell them that we cannot support P2P applications. If they demand that they have to do it, and refuse to quit, then I uninstall them, and suggest that they get their broadband elsewhere.

I haven't found a more effective way to make it work.

pd

Mark Nash wrote:
I had a customer tell me yesterday that he uses his Gnutella program to do unlimited downloads from a paid site. I've used the Mikrotik routers (p2p queue set to 64k) to block this and other programs, so it's not working now for the customer. I want to allow for paid downloads, but not P2P filesharing.

Have you come across this?  Can it be dealt with?

Mark Nash
Network Engineer
UnwiredOnline.Net
350 Holly Street