$50K up front and 50 cents a device to control an entire band in the US sounds like a pretty cheap deal to me. I am surprised nobody jumped on that. I do not see that as too much to pay and I am very surprised this did not take off. I hate it when opportunity is right in front of my face and I am too blind to see it!
Scriv

Rich Comroe wrote:

I haven't seen but one DECT phone here and it was very basic, but I expect
that the technology will quickly be expanded to products like the multi
handset systems, etc that are getting popular from Uniden and all the
others.

There's a reason you haven't seen these products here.  I began searching for
why the last time a thread discussed the 1.9GHz UL band surfaced on this list.
I doubt you'll ever see much product ever emerge for this band in the United
States.  There's a reason for this too ...

I've heard some discussion on this list regarding how "the FCC gave the industry UL
spectrum and they didn't use it."  With such a connection, wisps must understand why
this band has been underutilized here (as well as judging the chances of new products
emerging).

Years ago the FCC took this band away from Pt-Pt microwave users.  They authorized a group called
UTAM to pay what was necessary to move these microwave users to clear the band.  Apparently UTAM
spent "whatever it took" since it wasn't there money.  Manufacturers wanting to field UL
product had to pay UTAM what were known as "clearing fees".  Check out
http://www.utam.org/ClearingFees.html.  Prior to April 1 2005 the clearing fees were enough to
dissuade any manufacturer from building UL product for the United States!  IMHO the UTAM fees
doubled the cost of producing UL product.  Since April 1 2005 the fees drop to a mere 50 cents per
radio, but a manufacturer must still pay UTAM $50,000 up front.  With the lack of products, UTAM
has amassed a huge debt.

The FCC groundrules for clearing the Pt-Pt users from the band were more than
enough to insure that this UL band would never be effectively utilized in the
United States.

Just my opinion,
Rich
----- Original Message ----- From: Ralph To: 'WISPA General List' Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 11:45 AM
 Subject: RE: [WISPA] Using DECT phones to avoid interference issues.

 I deployed a DECT (Digital European Cordless Telecommunications) system with
 450 handsets several years ago.

 The phones were single line units made by Phillips.  They system worked OK,
 but the features were very lacking.  The frequency range was 1880-1900 MHz
 This deployment was in Paris, France and was connected behind a PBX. There
 were about 21 "base stations", each one capable of supporting many
 conversations.

 The DECT system is interesting because it is the standard in Europe and
 people's home handsets could be registered on this system. All I had to do
 was enter the code # into the management system.  We were afraid that the
 handsets might begin disappearing due to the interoperability, but these
 handsets were so cheesy that the home models were much better.

 The DECT system did handoff calls as the users walked between base stations,
 which was pretty cool.

 A year or so aqo, DECT was authorized here in the US, on slightly different
 frequencies: 1920-1930 MHz. There was not any general hoopla at all around
 this introduction.

 DECT isn't GSM, but the two are made to be very compatible and in Europe,
 there are dual mode DECT/GSM phones.  These systems, which are sometimes
 used in installations like mine, allow the user to switch over to a more
 cost-effective DECT connection when in range, and the GSM signaling is
 passed over to the DECT system, but in DECT format.

 I haven't seen but one DECT phone here and it was very basic, but I expect
 that the technology will quickly be expanded to products like the multi
 handset systems, etc that are getting popular from Uniden and all the
 others.

 It should eliminate all WISP interference for sure!

 Ralph