To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] McCaw losing money?

George Rogato wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:
I agree with almost everything you said... except the "triple play" revenue... Qwest is doing a triple play system (Qwest DSL, Qwest VoIP and DirecTV) for $99 per month with $0 install.

Also, I don't have a problem with 30-50 year ROI for fiber... but ClearWire is wireless... all the equipment will have to swapped out in 5 years.

Travis
Microserv

Qwest is finally doing better. More dsl revenue.

But I wonder what the 99.00 doesn't include and how much the total package costs, with extra charges.

They never tell the total price, they just quote a unit price.

And quoting unit prices is fully effective enough. One of my POPs has gone from 20 customers to 1 customer, as Qwest has aggressively targeted the area with phone calls to each (!) of my customers 4, 5 and 6 times a week, offering 1.7 Mbps service for 37.50/month. The contract is vaguely and worded in very fine print so no one gets that it is an introductory price, with miscellaneous services and taxes extra. Many will probably rue the day, but I can't hold on to that POP with one customer.

And how the heck did they get so specific on the customer list? Do they offer a cut to judas goats?

I begin to think the big guys are now starting the big squeeze. Oh, expletive deleted.