Hi Marlon,

On 4/19/07, Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Welcome to the list! Thanks for joining us.

Happy to be here!  I remember when John told me about starting WISPA
years ago.  Before that, I remember all of us at MVN toasting his
first wireless link out of the back of his Jeep Cherokee using, what
was it John, Broadcom gear?  I'm proud to see how far the community
has come.

I guess my biggest questions revolve around the "phone home" feature.

What is that needed?

The Meraki Mini communicates with our backend servers to provide you
the capability of managing a large network of Minis via a single
interface.  They also aggregate usage information to show you how your
network is being used and by whom.  More information about Dashboard,
our web-hosted management interface, can be found at
http://meraki.net/products/dashboard/.  The Dashboard service is
included for free with purchase of a Meraki Mini.

How can we assure our customers that no data mining etc. is taking place?

We adhere to our privacy policy and are upfront about any changes that
are made to it.  The policy can be found online at
http://meraki.net/legal/privacy/.

What's the advantage to YOU guys with the phone home function?  I'd think it
could easily require significant bandwidth to support.

The bandwidth required for a single network is relatively low compared
to actual use of the network.  Our cost for this service requires us
to manage a large number of connections, but we do so because each of
our network operators enjoy using Dashboard and the public API to
understand how their users are getting value by using their networks.

One of our early network operators is Michael Burmeister-Brown.  Mike
runs NetEquality in Portland, OR, is a Meraki reseller, and even has
an enhanced monitoring interface that runs on top of Dashboard.  If
you run a Meraki network, you can sign up for Mike's monitoring
interface which in turn uses our public API.  NetEquality is online at
http://netequality.org/.

Do you guys automatically update the firmware on the units since you know
which ones are online and what their job is?

Yes, we maintain the software on each unit.  This happens without
requiring your intervention.

Yeah, I'm paranoid.  I'm an ISP, it's expected!  SOMEONE has to protect my
poor customers.  hehehehe

Of course.  We want to protect our customers as well, so it's in our
best interest to be upfront about our practices and policies.  An
example of us providing that sort of transparency is by allowing
anyone who purchases a Mini to log in via SSH (the serial number is
the default root password) and install their own software on top of
our firmware.  You can even interact with what's already installed and
configured to see for yourself how our system works.

Regards,
Chase