Yes... but this process takes 10-20 minutes or more. Our backbone (which also serves customers via redundant fiber lines) can't be down for that long or we have VERY upset customers requesting credits, refunds, etc.

Travis
Microserv

Adam Kennedy wrote:
That's where peering agreements come into play.

Last case scenario you (WISP-A) just want to drop peering entirely but WISP-B doesn't stop advertising your route, then call up whoever their upstream is and talk to their NOC. If the /20 is your allocation from ARIN, and you aren't peering anymore, explain the situation to the NOC and they can stop accepting your /20 from WISP-B's advertisement.

Easy as that.

Travis Johnson wrote:
This is not correct. Let's do an example:

WISP-A is getting bandwidth from Provider A. They have a /20 network. Provider A has to allow that /20 in their BGP filters. WISP-B is getting bandwidth from Provider B. They have a /20 network. Provider B has to allow that /20 in their BGP fitlers.

WISP-A and WISP-B setup a peering, but also to allow failover if either Provider goes down. Thus Provider A and Provider B both have to allow BOTH /20 networks in their BGP filters.

Now, for some unknown reason, WISP-B decides to start announcing WISP-A's /20 network as local to their network. BGP will become very confused, and thus WISP-A will essentially be down. All of this with a single network entry by WISP-B... they just wiped out WISP-A.

Travis
Microserv