Maybe you've missed T-Mobiles own notes on this issue? The first 3 links sound like a fairly standard VoIP 911 configuration.

Wi-Fi (Nokia 6136) http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm51419.htm Wi-Fi (Samsung t709) http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm51424.htm http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm30165.pdf "IMPORTANT: The 911 Emergency Service for your Wi-Fi compatible phone is somewhat more limited than a traditional wireless or wireline 911 service (for example, the service will not function during electrical power or broadband outages). Before using this service, you MUST provide us with the primary street address where you will use it, and you must furnish us with any address changes. See T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions for other limitations and information."

Also refer to the T's and C's: http://www.t-mobile.com/Templates/Popup.aspx?PAsset=Ftr_Ftr_TermsAndConditions&print=true

"Service Availability and Limits. Your Phone operates as a radio and Service is only available when your Phone is within range of an antenna providing Service. Coverage maps only approximate our wireless coverage area outdoors; actual service area, coverage, and quality may vary and change without notice. There may be gaps in Service within the estimated coverage areas shown on coverage maps. Even within a coverage area, factors, such as: network changes, emergencies, traffic volume, transmission limits, service outages, technical limitations, signal strength, your equipment, interconnecting carriers, terrain, structures, weather and other conditions (without limit) may interfere with actual service, quality, and availability. Calls may be interrupted, dropped, refused, or limited. Coverage maps may depict coverage in areas where networks are operated by our affiliates and roaming partners; such coverage may change without notice. We are not responsible for those networks and some Services are not available on third-party networks or while roaming. We may impose credit, usage, or other limits to Service, cancel or suspend Service, or block certain types of calls, messages, or sessions (such as international, 900, or 976 calls) at our discretion. We may suspend Service without notice if you exceed any credit limit. Service may not be transferred to another market except at our discretion, and we may charge transfer fees. WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY SERVICE LIMITS, FAILURES, OR OUTAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMIT, THE FAILURE OF ALERTS, 9-1-1 EMERGENCY, PRIORITY ACCESS, OR SECURE SERVICE CALLS TO BE CONNECTED OR COMPLETED, OR THE FAILURE TO PROVIDE ALERTS OR ACCURATELY LOCATE ANY 9-1-1 CALL (SEE SEC. 14). Location services, including 9-1-1 location services, emergency or other alert systems, priority access, and secure service calls may not be available in your area and are subject to the Service limitations in this Sec. 6."

Unofficial comment, but I'm pretty sure I saw this same thing described in the official pages a few days ago:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/discuss.php?fm=m&ff=136&fi=1248052 "A call to 911 will always try to use a tower if one is avaiable (even if you are connected to wifi), if not it will use the wifi network and privide the address that you registered with t-mobile"

-hk