The leasing mechanism could be interesting. You would have to sell over a long period or with the right of first refusal on lease termination otherwise there would be no serious bidders if you are not guaranteed long term access to the spectrum.

What would be really interesting would be if google bought the spectrum and then resold non-exclusive right to use so for $x/unit you can operate in that space with anyone else that is willing to buy at $x/unit. Not sure if the spectrum holder is allowed to do that or not...

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

David E. Smith wrote:
W.D.McKinney wrote:

If Google wins, the spectrum will be tied up for a long time with little on no use right away.

I suspect most of Google's business plan here is "get spectrum, lease spectrum, earn lots of money with little actual work," and in that case it's in their best interest to get a leasing program up and running quickly. Kinda makes me wish I had a few billion sitting around; it's a good plan if you can finance it. In the meantime, Google has some of the smartest cookies on this planet working for them, so getting lease operations going should be trivial for them.

I'll concur that it'd be nice if there were some spectrum reserved for WISP use, but that apparently isn't meant to be. Google is probably the lesser evil in this case, given that our other choice is the telcos (we all know how fun they are to work with).

David Smith
MVN.net
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Would you like to see your advertisement here? Let the WISPA Board know your feelings about allowing advertisements on the free WISPA lists. The current Board is taking this under consideration at this time. We want to know your thoughts. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------