At 05:12 PM 9/10/2007, you wrote:
Allen:

Metricom's long out of business, but technologically, they made it
work (albeit at ~28 Kbps, and later ~128 Kbps). One of the key things
they did to make it work at 902-928 MHz is to use FHSS and small
channel sizes rather than fixed, wide channels as all the current
902-928 MHz BWIA gear (except Alvarion's BreezeNet [?].

I clearly see your point as an old FHSS guy.  hehehe

LOL, between you and me, I would never have waxed so philosophically over this idea had it not been for the muni-wifi movement with its limited non-overlapping channels. Multiple radio systems got me interested in meshing a while back. I guess I'm not the only one, but my market is definitely not city wifi like Strix.

The earlier version did both mesh and access using 902-928 MHz. The
newer version used 2.3 and 2.4 GHz for the mesh (backhaul) and 902-928
MHz for access only.

Gotcha, many thanks for responding to me Steve. I think there is something to be learned under every new stone, and even some old stones long forgotten my most... I barely remember Metricom and "packet radio".

Hmmm I just saw a HughesNet commercial. The one with the pretty lady in a green dress. I assume GEO satellite service still stinks to high heaven?? I nearly forgot about those guys... I once knew Avi Freedman when he was into some satellite stuff and learned enough not to be too scared of the sat guys who have their own unique set of expensive problems.....

Allen

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **
http://www.ispcon.com/register.php **