I don't agree about them being "hosed" by tower companies.
I have a tower that still has one of their "cell sites" on it.

They installed a full three faced array mount, stuck 5 feet off the tower on
all sides, identical to what the cellular guys used.

Then they mounted 4, 30 degree dual band 2.4/900 sectors on each face along
with 12 of their pole-top type radios. All this into several heavy NEMA
enclosures followed by heavy, custom Ethernet and Power cables running in
metal conduit down to the building. Inside was a 7 foot cabinet full of
equipment (requiring a second meter) plus additional wall enclosures housing
lightning protectors, telco DEMARCs and who knows what else.

The antenna array wiggled back and forth causing great turning moment on the
tower and is STILL THERE to this day because they didn't even clean up after
themselves.  Don't forget the thousands of pole top nodes they abandoned
that use power and space on the streetlights to this very day.

This was done all over the metro area on 4.5 mile centers!

For the weight, load, and space taken up, they should have been paying
broadband cellular rates on all of these.

Ralph