Two issues....

1) People so quickly forget the scale involved. It is more hassle for these
companies to do business with a small entity than the revenue they would
receive. Think about it. A sales office with 5-6 agents to manage the sales
for the towers they own.  Then there are 5-10,000 towers managed. Then think
about the hassle to make agreements with the other large volume propsect
customers. The time involved in considering all the special exceptions
written in on every other small customer's tower agreement?  If they wanted
to do a global agreement with Clear wire, that takes 1 agreement made with
the legal council, it would mean they had to look at 5-10,000 agreements if
each tower had a colocater that only had space on one tower, which would
mean legal fees times 5-10,000.

2) The cell providers are now looking at possibilties to do add-on services
in mobile broadband, and do they really want to lease to a competitor?

The way to get space on these towers, is to take a different angle. What
that angle is, well thats for you to discover. And that is what will
seperate you from all the others that are not successful.

For me it may have been.... Making friends or earning the respect of the
Tower agent, The person that owns the property the tower sits on, the local
zoning board, etc etc.
In Montgomery County, its required that the tower companies rent to other
competitors. They are required to rent to atleast three other entities to
get their towers approved in the first place.  Maybe with Wifi its to add a
value to the community, so residence stop complaining about the ugly cell
tower?  Maybe its sellling your potential to grow to larger volume. Maybe
its persistence and just not going away or giving up. Maybe, its an offer to
make the cell company look good, to combat negatism that had developed due
to their anti-competition tactics that they are known for.

If you want to get on the tower, you can likely find away to get on it cost
effectively. But the arguement is is it worth it? Is it worth taking risk by
compromising contractual terms that protect you? Absolutely NOT!  Never pay
money for being on a tower, without provisions to protect your investment.
Your loss if they try to screw you later would be far greater than what you
pay them to be on the tower.  One way is to start the process to build the
tower yourself. Send them a copy of the tower permit.  And say they can
compete against you when you become a tower owner with free space to rent,
or they can rent to you, and save their margins from other colocaters, if
they agree to do it before you build.