We witnessed this same thing while helping Mac Dearman and crew after
Katrina.  FEMA is definitely a more of a disservice to those in need than it
is for providing assistance.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Williams
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Tornado

Myself and many others responded to Adkins, Arkansas yesterday...

There was a great outpouring of volunteers, equipment, and supplies.
Quite literally dump trucks, tractor trailers, and many more
pickups w/ trailers hauling in various dozers, back hoes, materials,
food / water etc. for clean up and disaster assistance.

The FEMA administrators had the place in TOTAL lock down. They would NOT
allow assistance efforts to happen.
A phrase was coined ... that "the government is more focused on
protecting its rights to be government, than it is
on assisting the coordination of REAL assistance and aid."

Frankly, that statement sums up the debacle that is FEMA response.
They completely HALTED a 100% volunteer relief effort!

Then they requested that what was REALLY needed was CAMPING GEAR.
I nearly lost it.

For those who are not familiar, in Mena / Hope Arkansas there are
literally HUNDREDS OF SQUARE ACRES of FEMA trailers and RVs parked
and rotting to pieces thanks to FEMA's lame ass efforts to aid Katrina
victims. Logically, if they needed housing, it would have been as
easy as requesting the volunteers on hand to organize a convoy of trucks
to drive to Mena / Hope and pickup the trailers and deliver them
to Adkins / Clinton, etc. BUT ALAS, FEMA is not logical in their
response.

I came away from the experience feeling REALLY good about the American
Spirit, it is clearly alive and well with in our people, but VERY
clearly not alive in our gov't.

The long term effects of such high handedness by FEMA will be
disastrous, those who would typically respond will become complacent
and
apathetic and will no longer respond, because after all the Govt will
handle it right? Sad times America, sad times.

 Something needs to be done about this...

God Bless those whom are in dire need and I pray that things change
rapidly. Unfortunately the media crews that were on location
had no interest in pointing out the FEMA blockade AGAINST relief
efforts.

-Mark Williams

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 09:30 -0600, Scottie Arnett wrote:

> Sorry to reply to my own post, but we service the Macon County Tennessee
area that was hardest hit. We have a POP there for dial-up, but have not
entered that market with our wireless yet.

> Lots of destruction. The tornado set down and traveled 25 miles or more
without ever lifting. Base ranged from 100 to 400 yards. Rated at an F2 this
morning by whoever rates them. Most power and telephones had been restored
as of late last night.

> Of little importance, none of our equipment was damaged. My heart and
prayers to the folks that lost homes and loved ones. I know this type of
tornadoes hit the mid west all the time, but we were not prepared to see it
hit as hard as it did in Tennessee. Never been that bad here before.

> From: "Scottie Arnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  Thu,  7 Feb 2008 09:22:08 -0600
>
> >Memphis Tennessee, Tuesday:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/06/tornado-destroyed-two-radio
-towers-used-several-st/

> >Main tower hub for communications knocked down.

----

----

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:17 AM