Is it possible for interference to prevent a signal from showing up in a
site
survey in Windows Zero Configuration utility? I set up a relay AP at a
home yesterday, the AP being on the roof of the garage (couldn't get
a link to my tower from the house). The wireless card I put in the customers
computer would not connect to (usually would not even see) the AP, although
it would find APs in other homes 1/2 mile away at times. My laptop, sitting
on the desk next to the computer, connected immediately, with great signal
strength. BUT, if I changed the channel to either 9, 10, or 11, then the
desktop unit would connect, also with great signal strength. I changed out
the radio on the garage, changed the PCI wireless card in the desktop,
antennas,
everything, but as long as the AP was on channel 8 or lower, the desktop
would usually not find it, and when it did, the RSSI was very low. My laptop
however, did not have any problems connecting no matter what channel
the AP was on, with excellent RSSI reported on all channels.

Is there an explanation for what I was seeing?

--

John Vogel - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.vogent.net   620-754-3907