From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Travis Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:45 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Metered Broadband

Hi,

Although it's a great thought, I don't think "metered" broadband will ever
catch on in the US. Even the cell phone companies are moving to an
"unlimited voice/data/SMS package for only $99" service pricing. My power
company will do a "level-pay" program on my power after being activated for
a full year. They take the average of the 12 months and that's your fixed
monthly payment. They make adjustments each year, if necessary.

There are a couple things I see:

(1) People would rather have a higher monthly rate, if they know it's a
fixed price. Nobody likes surprises, especially when it comes to bills.
(2) You are basically cutting your own throat by doing something like this.
Why would you go install a customer that may be a $15/mo customer (because
they only check email) compared with installing a $29/mo customer? It's the
same amount of time, equipment, customer support, tower rent, AP, etc.

If you have people that are using more than a "fair" amount of bandwidth,
then charge them more or ask them to leave... but there's no reason to
completely remodel your pricing structure because of a few customers.

Travis
Microserv

Scott Reed wrote:

Half my customers have pulled less than 1G since April 16 or so when I
started tracking it.  I'll be optimistic and think they would all do 1G
per month.  I don't think I am going to drop a $33 per month customer
down to $2 per month.
I might consider $30 base and $2/G over X/Gig, but I haven't figured out
what X is, yet.

Mike Hammett wrote:

So what types of rates would be appropriate for a metered broadband service?
It obviously depends on what your costs are.  I'll just throw something out
to start a conversation, not necessarily reflective of any costs.

$2/gig transferred, no other costs or limits.

$10 base, $1.50/gig transferred, no other limits.

Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

----