Will it be able to do a topographic view like delorme does as well for new
customers?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of John McDowell
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 2:25 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Billing and process management system

Here is a screenshot of my company's RF mapping integration with Powercode.
Brian Webster (www.wirelessmapping.com) provides the mapping service and we
have overlaid his map into the GoogleMaps interface that's already built
into Powercode (www.powercode.com), complete with all types of customers and
infrastructure. Here's a cool feature, you can click on any of the pins and
it pulls up that customer's contact information, which is all hyperlinked
directly to your version of Powercode.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Tom DeReggi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Now that you have made your shameless self promotion sales pitch :-)
> I thought I'd scrutinize your comments, palying devils advocate :-)
>
> I have not looked at your BOSS software or Firmwre, so I am asking
> blind at this point. But I am interested in your perspective, since
> you are interested in WISP markets.
>
> > AP and CPE devices will need to use our firmware but once installed
> > can be managed from anywhere. We currently have our firmware ported
> > to half a dozen devices and we're working on adding more ports all
> > the time.
>
> The above was the key comment that got my attention, and how that
> would reflect the reality of what could be a viable target market..
>
> Is it really realistic to "use a BOSS provider's Firmware on APs and
CPEs"?
> [...]
> Why would a WISP risk a tried and true solution to convert to
> something new, just for integration into a BOSS system? Could they
> risk that?  Thats like going to a CLEC provider and saying... "We have
> this new BOSS system, would you mind just throwing away all your
> CISCOs.".  Generally what WISPs would want more is a BOSS system that
> could integrate will all their pre-eixsting diverse product lines. As
> a WISP, we all know there are a lot of tools in the toolbox, and there
> is the right tool for each type of job. Even the WISPs most religious
> to staying true to one brand have branched out to use many different
> product lines, because technical reasons and differences in their
> technology forced them to, if they wanted to stay competitive.  I
> would find it more viable to have a "agent" application that could be
> integrated into pre-existing OS, to add compatibility. (although that
> could also be a huge task technically, and politically also)
>
> When a BOSS requires its own Firmware for devices, it usually means
> that the WISPs will now need two BOSS systems. One for their new
> proprietary system, and one for all their other stuff. That means
> duplication of ALL costs.
> Labor, hardware, CC processing, learning curve, documentation, etc,
> etc. So teh service subscribption could no longer be justified as a
> time saver, as it would be yet another application "added" to the list
> to manage.  Also note a platform change is not jsut a technology
> change, it is also a process change.
>
> Do not misunderstand me, I am NOT Bashing your product. I'm just
> sharing the first thoughts that came to my mind, when I don't yet
> understand your product, and it would potentually be a thought likely
> to cross other WISP's minds.
>
> How do you feel your product, will or could fit into an existing
> WISP's operation?  And what processes/features could be extended to
> pre-existing models?
> To be more politically correct, this is a question not necessarilly
> directed specifically to your product, but any product that offers a
> more narrow specialized management solution (such as HotSpot) to
> integrate into an exist provider's network of any type.
>
> A trend I see is many vendors are providing RMS systems for their
> radio firmware platforms. (I'll spare you the list, but atleast 10 I
> could name off teh top of my head). However, most are jsut compatible
> with their own product, which takes away a large part of the value
> proposition for many WISPs.  I personally, see 2009 and 2010 being
> about increasing BOSS's compatibilty to encompass a much larger models
> and products.  The analogy I like to use is looking at a company like
> at  Comcast or a Verizon. Would they give their support staff 5
> different OSS platforms to manage all the peices of their network?
> WISPS are growing, and there is a dream for one platform that does it
> all, and it will be even more importnat as teh roll ups occur. Or will it

WISPs.
> [...]
> > currently have our firmware ported to half a dozen devices and we're
> > working on adding more ports all the time.
> >
> > Avansu offers the following:
> > - Billing (subscriptions, credit card payments, scratch cards etc)
> > - Remote management, configuration and reboot of APs and CPEs
> > - Monitoring and alerting via SMS and email (with automated failover
> > if
> > available)
> > - Fully customizable login pages for CPEs and APs (including own
> > domain)
> > - Fully customizable credit card billing and subscription pages
> (including
> > own domain)
> > - Reports on usage and revenue for single nodes, groups of nodes or
> > the whole system
> >
> > The main advantage of Avansu is that APs and CPEs work the same no
> > matter what hardware (vendor) is used. Once the Avansu firmware is
> > installed nodes can be deployed by simply copying configuration
> > parameters from one unit to another via the server.
> >
> > We're still in beta for WISPs, we'll be launching fully in January 2009.
> > Until launch we're offering free accounts so let me know off list if
> you'd
> > like to try our system.
> >
> > Sorry for the self promotion but you guys were discussing the topic,
> > I couldn't help myself ;-)
> >

> > Tim Barker
> >
> > Fire4 Systems (UK) Ltd.
> > Round Foundry Media Centre,
> > Foundry Street,
> > Leeds,
> > LS11 5QP,
> > UK
> >
> > Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > UK Tel: +44 (0)7976 122 191
> > US Tel: +1 305-914-0364
> >
> > http://www.fire4.com
> > http://www.avansu.com
> > http://www.wispzone.com
> >

> > On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Butch Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> >> While I agree that FS is a good application and can do PARTS of
> >> what he asked for, it does not do all of it.  Jeremy Davis is a
> >> good man for FreeSide without question.
> >>
> >> Perhaps it's the top posting that made is so that you didn't
> >> remember all the requirements?  See my example in this email...

> >> FS can do this in the hands of an Expert like Jeremy.

> >> Unless Jeremy has done some extra work with FS, It does not fulfill
> >> these CRM requirements.

> >> This is what FS does "for a living".

> >> This, too.

> >> Both of these are doable in FS and both are customizable.

> >> FS isn't equipped to do either of these.
> >>
> >> See, Mike?  I was able to address each section of the request and
> >> anyone who reads it will be easily able to follow the conversation.
> >> Also, all irrelevant information has been removed.
> >>

> >> --
> >> ********************************************************************
> >> * Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*

John M. McDowell
Boonlink Communications
307 Grand Ave NW
Fort Payne, AL 35967
256.844.9932
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.boonlink.com

you may not use, copy, re-transmit, or disclose to anyone the message or any
information contained in the message. If you have received the message in
error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
delete the message. E-mail communication is highly susceptible to spoofing,
spamming, and other tampering, some of which may be harmful to your
computer. If you are concerned about the authenticity of the message or the
source, please contact the sender directly.