From: "Brian Webster" <bwebs...@wirelessmapping.com>

Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:26:37
To: WISPA General List<wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Congress may help smaller ISPs grow

Tom,
        The points you make seem to drive home the point that some leasing
companies and other consultants try to make. Keep your cash on hand for
operational expenses and use leasing to purchase the equipment. This
preserves your capital even though it may cost more in interest. Using that
logic it would seem that the lease would allow you to purchase the equipment
and start producing cash flow. You could show the SBA or RUS this cash flow
in addition to having your capital still in the bank as collateral. Cash as
collateral is easier for a lender to understand than some sort of technology
that could be obsolete in 6 months. This is not the solution for everyone
and if you can't get a lease it obviously doesn't work.

        Business owners should consider this about debt and the deflation
possibility, when you have paid cash for your equipment and they deflate the
dollar, your equipment investment just deflated as well. The only thing it
can give you then is cash flow (as long as you have it installed and a
paying customer on the equipment). If however you bought all of that
equipment using credit and they deflate the dollar you have actually hedged
against the deflation because your cash did not get deflated, yet you are
still producing revenue on the other people's money you used. If you can get
good credit terms and can make the numbers work I would personally borrow
like crazy and expand to ramp up cash flow. The numbers will work if the
government doesn't cause deflation, but if they do it works out even better.

        People who have loans always make out better in deflationary times over
people who have hard cash assets. If you don't have assets they don't lose
value. The person who built their business on cash or personal assets loses
out twice. First the value of everything they already paid for depreciated
in a big way and then the cash flow they are producing is buying less
because of inflation. Hope that makes sense......

Thank You,
Brian Webster