On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 20:12 -0600, Nathan Stooke wrote:
>       We rolled out MPLS more to get VPLS.

This is one of the benefits I mentioned.  There are other ways to gain
this benefit, however.  I'm not gonna go through all the possibilities
with what can be done with MPLS and show the comparable option another
way.  The point I was making before was more that MPLS is a new
(relatively speaking) technology and there are ways to accomplish the
same benefits in ways that don't require MPLS.  I agree that VPLS is a
"cool" feature that can, for some networks, be a "necessary" feature.
For most, however, MPLS is NOT worth the time and effort necessary to
understand for the benefits gained.

The person who started this thread sounded like he was "searching" for a
technology without defining a need and I was just pointing out that
design goals should come first.

> While we have plans to really
> utilize the MPLS we really need the VPLS for our clients that needed
> transport across our network.  On another note ATT is pushing MPLS
> connections to multiple sites instead of their T1 services in our area.
> Even though they are really using the T1s for the service and they are
> really offering VPLS services.

Yes.  I have said for over 2 years that MPLS is more a "marketing ploy"
than a necessary technology.  I remember standing in front of Brad
Belton's office discussing this exact subject.  MPLS is likely to be a
"necessary" item for some JUST to be able to sell the same product.
Cisco does this all the time.  They help corporations and government
entities write up RFQs with requirements that include Cisco specific
capabilities.  Really pisses me off sometimes.  :-)

> We have not really any issues with the MPLS or VPLS.  Of course I
> have the best or one of the best network admin's around so he had everything
> tested and when we implemented it is was very smooth.

I'm glad you have MPLS running and working on your network.  Are you
using manually configured tunnels or are you implementing this using a
route reflector?

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * WISPA Board Member               *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * Wired or Wireless Networks       *