Fibertower owns a lot of the LMDS spectrum that they acquired when they
bought First Avenue Networks. First Avenue acquired the spectrum which was
the old WinStar and Teligent stuff. From what I understand there are still a
few people who have warehouses of that old equipment. Fibertower was in the
business of leasing that spectrum but they stopped. I tried to negotiate a
deal when I was at EarthLink to do a nationwide lease with them. They have
both 24 and 39 GHz spectrum with the 39 being almost nationwide
http://www.fibertower.com/corp/solutions-spectrum.shtml. The problem with
this spectrum is available equipment. For the EarthLink deal the plan was to
use the 24 GHz spectrum. Japan Radio Corp (JRC) has a PTMP solution with
CPE's in a form factor very similar in size to Canopy. We would have gone
through the FCC cert process for those if the rest of the deal had gone
through. While we were talking Fibertower did a 180 and said they weren't
going to look at leasing anymore. My thought was they got greedy and figured
if EarthLink was going to be able to do it, they should do it themselves.
Didn't pan out for them though.
    There are still many private LMDS licenses that could probably be bought
or leased cheaply. With no equipment available that spectrum has lost it's
value. I'm sure JRC would spin up some product if the market showed some
interest. Maybe with the new map other manufactures could be encouraged to
do so as well. I don't recall any of the product details or the throughput
but those are the places I would start on this quest. I think this is a
great idea and one which should be pursued. It would be great to show the
government that WISP's will make the most of of whatever is at hand and make
it a profitable growing business, nit just speculate on spectrum to resell
or to build up a marginal business and position it to sell (Nextel
anyone...). I'm really getting tired of the "Flip this House" mentality in
the licensed wireless world. Artificially inflated financials with very few
who have actually proven their own business plan before they sell it to the
next sucker (Sprint anyone...)... I could rant for a long time on the issue
but I'll spare everyone.
    As difficult as it is to deal in unlicensed spectrum, it has some
serious advantages. As long as you play within the rules there aren't big
players and government always trying to create winners and losers. With
unlicensed you can quietly go about building an industry and go undetected
(like the WISP industry if you look at congress today). Maybe it's time to
get creative and do something with free space optics and 60 GHz to build up
some sort of PTMP solution? Today you know there are certain spectrum bands
you have access to right now. You don't need to wait for the winds of
political change to gain access. While working towards WISP protected
spectrum is a good thing, it's just as smart to focus efforts on the bird in
hand. Look at White Spaces. They have pushed that off till June. It will be
nice when it's available but don't hold your breath or your innovation
waiting for it. Create innovation now with what we have.
    This stuff won't be sub $100 CPE's. There is not enough manufacturing
scale to do so but the costs required to do this with subsidized efforts by
the government might make it cheaper than one thinks. This probably won't
work for the extreme rural areas where the household density make it hard to
justify much of any technology and still make a profit, but looking at the
WISP map I see we have many operators who easily live in densely populated
areas to justify projects such as this. I saw it's time for innovation.
NEVER say NEVER when it comes to technology. Almost always you will be
proven wrong in time, I know I have been on a number of things.

Thank You,
Brian Webster