It's true that it is a big expense and it's not an easy task.
But, we just got a "franchise agreement" from our city for fiber.
The way they calculate it is either on a per foot basis, or a percentage
of revenues across the fiber.
Naturally we did the percentage, but another company that brought
submarine cable through our city is paying a yearly per foot.

So with the percentage based system, the cost are easier to consume for
city wide.

As for the boring, thats what I'm wrestling with right now myself.
Back in 2000 or 2001 we laid conduits up a couple streets to get some
fiber going. We didn't even have a franchise agreement with the city,
but it was sanctioned by them anyways.
What we did was to buy the pvc ourselves and hired a prison crew to dig.
I live on a sand dune, so digging is much easier here than places with
harder soil types.
One of the excavators I used work with when I was an electrician came by
after seeing the crew digging and told me he could have done it for less.
So we compared notes, what it cost me for prison labor and his price
based on the footage.
He was one of the cheapest guys around for excavating, so the price he
told me wasn't going to get any better. It turned out we were a bit
lower than his price, with the exception that he would have broken
sidewalks and possibly damaged pipes along the way, where we were a
clean damage free dig.

So yeah, it cost a lot to dig, but the conduits will be there for ever
and you can do anything with the fiber that you can find a market for.
And it keeps you in the game.

Sadly, if wisps or isps don't start thinking about laying fiber, I think
the future will be cut short. Not saying to give up on wireless but
rather thinking about how to compliment the wireless with fiber.

It's Sunday and I have to go back to work... Today we are learning to
terminate fiber.

George