What is the cost of aerial fiber these days? I know it depends on number of
strands and technology, so if someone were going to do this in a small city,
what type would you want to use? Around here, the electric company gets around
$8/yr/pole to use their poles. Under normal conditions, how many poles are
there in a mile.

I pay $1325/mth for two T1's from ACC. I am in a rural cooperative area, and
the loop cost account for 2/3's of that to go about 40 miles. The local rural
telco priced me fiber at $2500/mth for 10/10 meg, and a $2500 install fee. They
now have metro ethernet and I can get 6/6 meg for $1300/mth. I will probably go
this route soon, if I can not find a better alternative. Cable co. is privately
owned here and the owner despises us, so that is OOTQ.

I can get a shot to fiber 16 miles north that is $1500/mth for 10/10 meg from a
public cable company. I will need to rent tower space at one end and buy the
backhaul equipment, plus being in very "stormy" area, have to worry about
lightning 8 - 10 months out of the year. I can not see me "coming out" this way
at a savings of $1000/mth for quite sometime. Most tower companies here are
Crown Castle and other big names that ask cell phone company rates to get on
their towers which are at least $750/mth. Their are other alternatives I have
not explored, such as building my own tower at the other end, or renting from
the cable company tower that may be much cheaper.

The fiber route mentioned had me interested. It is about 20 miles by road to
the same location that the 16 miles shot is. I know the cost will be way
higher, but I could then use the fiber in the towns along the way to offer
service. About 5 miles of this road way area does not have any broadband at
all. I could also offer an alternative to the local rural telcos fiber, which
has 0 competition at this point. And last but not least, I would worry much
less about lightning. As fiber "looks" to be the way of the future if we want
to stay in business, it is something to look at that is not out of the
question. I just do not have any idea about the costs of laying the fiber. We
have our own bucket trucks and work crew, so that cost is already incurred.

Scottie