Scott,

No, I was not kidding.

I am NOT suggesting using gear that does not adequately support DFS2.
But lets consider a TLink45 for example that is DFS2 certified.....

The DFS2 spec ONLY requires that you to listen and detect Radar, and not
transmit IF Radar is "HEARD".
If radar is NOT heard, you have the right to broadcast on the channel.
Nothing in DFS2 defines the size or type of antenna that has to be used to
hear. It is feasible that if you can't hear them, that they can't hear you.
And yes believe it or not, the difference between a 23 db panel and a
pacwireless 29db more directional dish has been enough difference between
hearing radar or not in some cases, to keep the radio from constantly
jumping channels.

If you really want to get clever you can spend $1500 and install a drum
antenna, that has excellent side isolation. (as much as 60db F/B ratio
spec).

The purpose in my comment was not to sugget ability to "over power" the
radar, as that would not be possible or ethical. Instead the goal is to
prevent hearing each other. I have had situations where re-point 60 degrees
off from my original path, has been enough to make 5.4Ghz usable versus not
usable for a new prospect. It is also only necessary for the AP to scan if
the CPE follows, so what side you mount your AP (or MU) can make a
difference between whether the Radar is heard.

The question with 5.4Ghz is "How can I take advantage of it to use it?"
5.4Ghz in a standard PtMP business class offering for primary service is
completely useless in much of America. (Atleast the DC Metro tri-state
areas). And for PTP one really can't affor to have service disrupted. You
have to be creative to use it. One way is for non-mission critical best
effort mesh type deployments.  For example, it would be great if Highway
safety used it for their street light networks to downloading traffic
violation tickets :-)  Wouldn't it be great if we just got half the tickets
half the time when the system worked :-)  We also use 5.4 for backup links,
or paths that have backup route paths.

What I hate about DFS is the randomness. Its a 2 week to 1 month process to
learn whether a 5.4Ghz link will be "reliable" without premature hopping.
So the best thing to do is design it from day one to be as interference
resistence as possible. We use the most directional antenna appropriate for
our link from day 1, to avoid the risk and costs associated with the risk.

DFS activating and Hopping channels should be the last reult effort to
preventing interference with Radar, and links should be optomized to prevent
that. We'll also try numerous channels in advance, and record which channels
don't hop, to maximize the chance that if it does in the future, we know
what channels are most likely to not hop in the future, without redoing
tests. This allows us to minimize downtime, if Radar jumps on our link 2
weeks down the road.

I'm also starting to think that GPS syncing might be a better idea for high
risk 5.4Ghz PTMP cell site links, just because if there is a heavilly loaded
cell site, the damage would be minimized if the radio jumped to the channel
of another radio. (We don't currently use any GPS synced equip). But with
the trend of Full Duplex comming back, it might not be to bad to use
syncing.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband