Rick,

I agree with your assessment that the $350 mil number was set based on
either Connected Nation being in mind (their lobbying), or using Connected
Nation as the only historical data to estimate what it could cost. But to
assume all $350 mil would just automatically go to Connect-the-Nation
without competitive bid process or considering all applicant's needs, is not
likely.

No we should NOT leave these funds alone.  Every one wanting to contribute
in mapping efforts surely should submit bids for this money. If nobody bids
(submits grant apps) on it, it would just be handed over to connected nation
on a silver platter.  Its more likely that $5 Mil would be allocated to each
State, for each State to best define how they want to map their broadband
coverage. Mapping coverage and need is clearly the one area that the States
undisputedly could be effective in helping out with.  I'd argue that because
of the few intities capable of providing mapping solutions, the odds are
higher of actually gaining a grant.

I also argue that if Connected Nation could do it for $8,000,000 for Ohio,
they surely could do the whole country for not to much more than that
number..... After all, once one State is complete, all the tools, software
development, and processes are already there to replicate.   I'd argue that
it would be "self serving" without justification or basis, to try and
continue to get $5 mil per state, on an ongoing basis. If anything, it could
be lobbied that economies of scale should be able to be obtained to reduce
the cost, in one national project, or replicating for individual states,
argueing that there will be additional funds to go around.  Surely Connected
Nation will ask for the full $350 mil, but its not likely the government
will grant it, with other bids on the table, unless they can truly justify
it, or there could be huge repercussions on the way the funds were managed
after the fact. I'd also argue that at this opens up the door for new
entrants that are not greedy, and come up with a more affordable plan.  At
minimum it should be argued that the money should be spread around to create
competiton in Mapping solutions, or at minimum not put all the money in one
basket.  Solely on the public opinion that Connected Nation is a front for
the telco, it could be argued taht a more specialized mapping solution
should be made for WISPs, tailered to their market that have different
characteristics, or that would tackle the problem from another angle.

Lastly, many prominent Wireless Association  and/or advocates have suggested
and supported ideas of spectrum mapping as needs equal to existing broadband
wireless coverage.  Based on the technology neutral clauses, it could be
argued that a certain percentage of mapping funds at minimum should go to
help mapo the needs of the wireless industry. Although, WISPA had been
neutral on this topic in its submissions, I'd argue that WISPA should
probably also offer support for such concepts and ideas.

Don't misunderstand me, I am not against Connected Nation, but they are not
the only fish in the sea. Although CN may have some strong supporters
politically, that does not over-ride the process the government takes to
fairly consider all applications and bids for funding. It would probably be
illegal if NTIA/RUS did not fairly consider all applicants and include
additional interested parties.

What we should do is thank Connected Nation for setting perception that
$5million is what it should cost, because that allows a lot of room for
applicants to underbid CN's track record, if they want to get into the
mappign broadband business.

I personally, will include mapping costs in my application. Argueing that
they are necessary costs to increase success and speed of installation of
plan, that can only be implemented by me, since I hold the confidential
information (network details) needed to adequately accurately map my
wireless network. And if there are not funds left in the mapping funds
portion of the BTOP program that they cover them in the large pool of funds
(not specifically allocated for mapping).

It could be argued that.... in theNational Broadband strategy, all Americans
need to be considered, even the 10% underserved in Urban America. Before
allocating more funds to build out wired networks in tehse areas that
already have wired networks,  it should be determined if these remaining
residents can be served with Wireless. The best way to do that is to create
wqireless coverage mapps, and build customer awareness of wireless coverage.
This is clearly within the goal of the BTOP program, to increase adoption.
Expecially to map your already served areas..

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband