From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Steve Barnes
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:02 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] Noise by me on a tower

I have an odd situation, I have 2-2.4 180* sectors MT RB411 and 5-5.8 StarOS
War1 backhaul radios and a RB600 router at the top of a 265ft old AT&T
microwave tower. The top has a grounded NEMA metal box and POE powered by an
Allen Bradley converter. I have an AC and an Ethernet run to the base where
I have a APC UPS.

The owner just leased space to another client 20 Feet away on same level
from me.  It is a local REMC doing meter reading on 221Mhz.  They were
having problems with receiving they brought in a spectrum analyzer and there
was a noise floor of -71 at 220Mhz.  The tower owner being an radio guy not
a wireless guy just killed power on the ups. (taking down all my stuff and
locking up 1 one of the radios for an hour GRRR)  When our equipment was off
the noise floor went to -108.  As soon as he powered me back up the noise
returned.  They actually said that there was noise from around 150Mhz to
240Mhz.

Everything is grounded and cased in metal except the LMR that goes to the
Antennas, the AC wire is in flex and the shielded Ethernet down the tower.

Ideas? there might be a little noise off the oscillators of the War-1 boards
but that's 175Mhz.  The Ethernet is 100Mhz, RB411 300Mhz and RB600 266 MHz

Steve Barnes
RCWiFi Wireless Internet Service

----