Tom,
        I think you misunderstood my position. I have reviewed many of connected
nations' completed projects and their mapping methodologies. In other
aspects of taxpayer funded mapping efforts, the resulting data has been put
in the public domain because the taxpayers own the right to the results.
Having connected nation do a mapping effort funded by the taxpayers, and
then not give anyone access to the data except for a pdf map, is not in the
public best interest. We saw the board makeup of connected nation when they
asked if WISPA wanted to join. As we all discovered, those board members are
largely made up of people from the Telco and Cable companies. That is where
they get their clout. That is also why they stick to their guns and map the
broadband data under NDA and won't release the results.
        I am not against the broadband mapping initiative at all. I support the
concept of mapping, just not the way connected nation has done it in the
past. I also feel it is dangerous putting the projects in the hands of
organizations who could be subject to the perception of not being completely
objective. There are many states that have already done a good job of
mapping broadband or are well on their way. California did a nice one
(http://www.calink.ca.gov/taskforcereport/), Maine and others have also put
a lot of work in to their programs. It's important to read and understand
each projects mapping methodologies to establish how much of a statistical
margin of error their results can contain. Nothing is going to be perfect,
but it can also be said that it's easy to sway results depending on how you
report data in statistical form. From a rural broadband perspective, a
simple overstatement of a service area by say 5 or 10 percent can lock out a
large number of households that might be the difference in making a rural
WISP or other ISP business case possible. In the case of KY or OH, there are
no provisions for others to view the comprehensive data sets for either
broadband studies or other purposes. The only result provided was a pdf map
and a web site where you can inquire based on a single address point. If
connected nation has not figured out how to map broadband in a manor where
they can release the data when finished, then the taxpayer is not getting
their best value.

Thank You,
Brian Webster