From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:21 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] WAN HotSpot and Polarity

Over the years, there have been many theories and strategies regarding what
polarity is best to use for various purposes.
As an engineer, I as well have my theories. But, I wanted to get an updated
opinion based on field trials of others, for the following application....

Application... 2.4Ghz WAN WIFI HotSpot
Specs...
1) Average sub located within 100 yards to 1/2 mile.
2) Find and Subscribe by "Search for available Networks", via laptop's WIFI
card.
3) If RF signal good enough to get a web splash screen to user, will display

instruction for ordering higher gain antenna self-install kit for inside
their window mount or balcony.
4) Access Point would likely use a sector panel (60 deg?), with an EIRP of
36db.

The goal here is.... enabling residential users to find the ISP's AP on
their own.

So my questions are....

1. If a Horizontally polarized antenna is used at the AP, Is it likely the
consumer will equally be able to find your AP, compared to if it had been
verical pol'd?

The idea being, horizontal pol's noise floor is much lower in the particular

area, and more likely ISP will avoid the noise from consumer APs that ship
with vert pol antennas, where end users by default will stick the antennas
straight up in Verticle pol position.

2. By the time the ISP's horizontal signal gets to the end user, is it
received in multiple polarities, based on all the reflections in end users
home and stuff?

3. Are laptop wifi cards typically "no polarity", and pick up Horizontal as
good as verticle signals?

4. Laptops would appear to have Horizontal pol antennas in some cases,
expecially if a PCMCIA card. Is this true?  Or are most laptops starting to
embed verticle pol antennas on the sides of screens?

5. Are End Users getting savy enough to move their laptop all around, when
they first take it out of the box, to try and find Horizontal pol APs of
ISPs Hotspots?

In summary.... If doing Hotspot WAN deployment, and Verticle noise is
significantly higher, will an ISP be doing a smart thing putting their
sector on Horiz pol to avoid noise, or shooting themself in the foot because

they'll be sending a signal cross pol to the average end user's verticle
pol's Wifi card, taking a 20db hit off the bat?

Sure.... Horizontal will be better, if the the consumer gets a professional
install, or learns to put an external horizontal pol antenna on their laptop

or PC. But most people may not know to do that, by default, for hotspot self

subscription.  (PS. recognize could use dual pol or 45deg off pol, but
purposely avoiding that, to try not to interfere with others, to enable more

people to play in the same spectrum)

What have other's found?

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc